Italian Salad
(I just named it that: but I always think of it as Italian. The original came from my friend J., who DOES NOT like bell peppers, so my version would be an abomination to her.)
Please note amounts are approximate; I mean, its a salad, you know? Just make it up!
half a head Romaine or green leaf lettuce
1/3 of a green, yellow, or orange bell pepper
cherry tomatoes
half a ripe avocado
red onion
1/2 lemon
olive oil
nice flakey salt
Okay, so now I am going to introduce you to the Lola Method for Salad Perfection. Please vary in whatever way makes salads more perfect for you.
1. CUT UP the lettuce. This, I discovered, just makes salads better. No idea why. I like to stack all the leaves on top of each other, then slice off the ends. Slice longways 3 or so times. Then slice at a 90 degree angle shortways across the leaves. You should have delicious-looking lettuce squares.
2. Rinse. I am a crazy lady, apparently, because I do not understand the appeal of salad spinners. I toss those lettuce leaves into a colander, give 'em a rinse, shake em dry. Let them sit by the edge of the sink while you get the rest of your salad ready and they will be dry enough.
3. Chop up the veggies. I slice the red onion very thin, cut the cherry tomatoes in half, and cut the bell pepper into thin strips, which I then halve. You totes know how to do avocados.
4. Now the magic: toss those lettuce leaves into a nice big bowl. Add 2/3 to 3/4 of each of the other veggies to the salad. Save a bit of each out for later. Squeeze one half a lemon over all. Glug on some olive oil, and don't be shy about it! Then, then....you know this is so important it gets its own number...
5. Salt! Sprinkle on a goodly pinch or so. Did you know that the root of the word "salad" is "salt?" True fact! Don't leave out the salt or its not really a salad! I use redic fancy salt called Maldon flake salt and it is yummy on salad but I imagine any kosher type salt would do. Then get on in there with your hands and mix up the salad. Go ahead and use your hands. Taste and add salt if needed.
6. Other magic trick: you know how after you toss a salad all the goodies fall to the bottom and it just looks like you are serving a big bowl of lettuce? I have the fix: grab the portion of the veggies you saved out in step 4. Sprinkle them across the top of your dressed salad. Lovely!
7. Enjoy!
We should get bonus points whenever we use the word "Goodly" This looks tasty and I did not know about salt, so it is Educational and Italian Salad!
ReplyDelete