Thursday, March 11, 2010

Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Pizazz!


Pizazz = Spicy! Yum!
I e-mailed this to everyone a while ago, but thought I should include it here.
- 3 red bell peppers
- 1/2 white onion
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 10-15 basil leaves
- 1/2 a jar of marinara sauce
- sweet Italian pork sausage removed from casings (I got the 5 pack from trader joes - you have to squeeze them out of their casing. It is easy but gross)
- cayenne peper to taste (1/2 tsp. -  we like it HOT!)
- fennel seeds to taste (2 tsp.)
- italian seasoning to taste (1/2 tsp.)
(seasoning amount depends on how much meat you use.)
Preheat oven to 425.  Line pan with foil.  Place quartered peppers on foil, skin side down and quarter onion 1/2 on foil.  Sprinkle with olive oil.  Roasted in center of oven for 25 minutes.  Remove from oven and create package with foil.  Allow veggies to rest in foil package for 30 minutes, unwrap and peel skins off peppers. 
Using emersion blender, blender or food processer, blend peppers, onion and basil leaves until it becomes sauce like (if needed add a little olive oil or water to thin it out).  Combine with 1/2 a jar of your favorite marinara (I use the organic vons brand) and warm on stove.
Meanwhile cook sausage and spices.  While heating, break up pieces (like when you make tacos but a little bigger).  Once cooked, drain off fat and stir meat into sauce.
Serve over your favorite noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment