Saturday, March 20, 2010

Frrriiieeeed Chicken!!!

I decided to stop making desserts until Easter because we've been devouring them faster than I can make them.  I'm not off desserts, but I'm not buying any or making any...eating an already purchased piece of chocolate with a marshmallow and a date is another matter, and perfectly acceptable!

My dessert desert led me to try making friend chicken - got to get the fat in some way or another, right?

I used Bittman's instructions on pg. 663 and used my own spices and the batter component of "Spicy Batter-Fried Chicken on pg. 666 (hmmmm....it was devilishly tasty!)

Instead of using a chicken I cut up and dried chicken breasts into large hunks.  This meant slightly shorter frying time.  I eye balled it - waiting for a browned batter and then cut my first piece open to double check.  Perfection!!!

I was AMAZED with the ease and success of the recipe.  KFC will not be seeing us anytime soon!  This is the first thing I've deep fat fried (only 1/2 inch of oil needed -  I used corn), and also the first breaded food I've made where the breading stayed on and stayed crispy. The secret was having a candy thermometer in at all times.  Bittman recommends covering the pan to prevent splashing, but I only covered half so I could leave my thermometer in and ensure a constant state of 350 degrees.

It was a fun and empowering to make such an iconic food! The only downside is a house (and a neighborhood) that smells like oil.  Keep your windows open if you're going to try this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment