The term Za annoys me to the max...I just couldn't resist.
Since meeting and marrying Andrew I have slowly but steadily been implementing a systematic desensitization program to mushrooms and onions.
I can say that I've been completely successful with onions. While he won't order french onion soup, he'd probably eat it if I made it, and he eats onions in any form with impunity. Mushrooms have been less successful, in part because while I enjoy mushrooms, I rarely cook with them.
Last night the tide has turned. I made this dish...persuaded Andrew to try it with the mushrooms (I chopped them big so he had the option of taking them off) and he said, "I'm glad you convinced me to leave the mushrooms on." He didn't bat an eye at the slurry of onion that coated the pizza - like I said, onions have been conquered.
Here's the recipe:
One recipe for thin crust pizza dough from Red Plaid or Bittman (same recipe, I think) with 2 Tbs sugar added.
Follow recipe for thin crust - Red Plaid is quicker b/c it has less rising time, but if you have time, rising improves dough. Bittman has loads of pizza info
Rub crust with olive oil, bake crust half way, and then add:
- 1 Recipe of Bittman's Caramelized Onion
(caramelized as long as possible to make Onion Jam - one very large red onion worked great and I added a splash of apple cider vinegar and 1 tbs brown sugar 1/2 way through cooking)
- 1 recipe of Bittman's sauteed shitake mushrooms (sauteed with olive oil, garlic and parsley)
- 1 package of hot cooked Capicolla (prosciutto would work just fine)
Bake for remaining time, keeping an eye on things. Meat should start to crisp, but nothing should burn.
Once out of the oven, immediately shave large (quarter size) pieces of Parmesan cheese over pizza with a carrot peeler. (For really melted cheese you can do this when you add everything else.)
Serve up and enjoy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow, helping Andrew discover the joys of onions & mushrooms- you are doing that man a huge favor.
ReplyDelete