Friday, June 18, 2010

Crazy Tomato Sorbet

So, the tomato plants are getting bigger and its time to use those tomatoes in the freezer from last summer. A few weeks ago I thawed a bag full to use in a ragu. The recipe said puree the tomatoes, so I used my new stick blender. However they were only partially thawed, so I got a tomato snow cone affair. Don said it was a sorbet. The tomatoes were so fresh tasting & sweet, I thought - Why not do this on purpose. Here is what I started with.About 2 cups frozen skinless tomato chunks (some are the variety, "Lemon Boy" hence they are yellow), fresh basil, garlic, a lemon, salt & pepper. I let the tomatoes thaw to the point where I could separate some of the tomato hunks from one another; yet they were still quite icy. I've done this in the microwave on defrost for a minute or two.

Chop a few leaves of basil and one garlic clove. In a bowl, combine semi-frozen tomatoes, basil, garlic, a tablespoon of lemon juice and 1/4 tsp each salt & pepper. Blend with stick blender for 30 seconds, till no tomato pieces are visible. Here is the result:
Stir in additional salt, pepper, or lemon juice to taste. Eat right away or keep in freezer for only about 15 minutes.
Note: Freezing the contents of 1 or 2 cans of ready-cut tomatoes would be another way to make this yummy salad.

2 comments:

  1. Cool! Literally! Sounds really good...I need to post some salads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, how did I miss this?! Mom, you are like some kind of cutting edge molecular gastronomy chef.

    ReplyDelete